Denise Goldberg's blog

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Shipping direct

Have you ever looked at package routing? I hate shopping in stores, so I am very accustomed to packages arriving at my door (not too long) after I have placed an order online. I received a shipping notification from LLBean today. Curious about delivery time, I clicked to the tracking link to see where my package was traveling.

Let's see, LLBean is in Freeport, Maine, and I live in North Andover, Massachusetts. City to city (by the default route chosen by Google Maps) is 103 miles. But - I could see from the tracking data that my package had arrived in Hartford, Connecticut this evening. Ah, the wonders of shipping networks. My package is taking the scenic route.

Freeport, Maine to North Andover, Massachusetts by way of Connecticut... Actual begin point to end point distance 103 miles. Total distance for my package's voyage? 334 miles!


A little update...I checked the progress mid-day on December 7th and found that the package had been delivered and signed for by C.LOSET. Funny.