Denise Goldberg's blog

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

On purpose?

Tonight I was in Norton hell, and I wonder - was it on purpose, or just a fluky thing?

I turned my computer on, and was informed almost immediately of a problem with Norton Internet Security. The error was preventing the virus protection software from working, so it wasn't something that could be ignored. I followed the error link to the Norton site, and the first suggested action was to restart the computer. OK, I'll restart.

Nope, that didn't help. I wandered back to the same page, scrolled down a little further, and saw the suggestion to uninstall and reinstall the product. Hmmm... I really didn't feel like playing games, and I briefly considered just finding a different virus protection solution. I knew that my Norton subscription still had quite a few months left on it though, so I played the uninstall, reboot, install, reboot game. And yes, my computer is now protected once again.

I wonder though... a few weeks ago I received an email telling me I had a free upgrade to Norton Internet Security 2008 (from the 2007 version). I planned to install it, just hadn't managed to get to it yet. My question is, was there some kind of time bomb in the older version triggered by the availability of the upgrade? That doesn't really make sense to me, but the timing seems a bit coincidental.

It's fixed now, but I still wonder...