Denise Goldberg's blog

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Dripping wet

The forecast called for a good riding day today, so when I woke to a gray world outside of my window I chose to get up and roll into the fog.

I could easily have rolled over and gone back to sleep for another hour, but I'm fighting to get two commute-to-work-by-bike days in this week. Today and Thursday are the only days that wore a prediction of dry weather. That meant today needed to be a riding day.

The morning fog was supposed to burn off by 9AM (and it did). The visibility at my 6AM departure time was OK at ground level; I didn't think my bicycle and I would be hidden from view. The light was dim enough though that I skipped my morning dose of sunscreen, something that I never do! Given the dim light, I decided to help more than I do in full sunlight. I grabbed a high visibility reflective belt, attached two bright blinking red lights to it, and headed down the road.

The temperature was a pleasant mid-60s on my ride in, but the fog was like a light mist. I was soaked by the end of my ride. Luckily my riding clothes returned to a dry state before I headed back out on my commute home this afternoon.

In spite of the fog it was a good morning ride. The sun appeared for a while, then hid behind thick gray clouds for my ride home. All things considered, it was a good riding day.