Denise Goldberg's blog

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Weather wizard warnings

From the National Weather Service, mid-afternoon:

"IF ANY THUNDERSTORMS APPROACH YOUR LOCATION...YOU SHOULD TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY. IF YOU CAN HEAR THUNDER...YOU ARE CLOSE ENOUGH TO BE STRUCK BY LIGHTNING."

The forecast this morning called for late afternoon thunderstorms, so my bicycle decided not to join me for my commute to work today. I was hoping that the storms would blow through before I got home, giving me some space for an evening ride.

After noon, the wind was whipping, and the skies changed attire from blue with puffy clouds to darker with a tinge of gray. The ground stayed dry, and I arrived home later to find blue skies and continued strong wind.

Hmmm... Time to ride?

The dark gray came back just after I arrived home, and a severe thunderstorm watch was posted until 7PM. I decided that today's exercise needed to be by feet against the ground, not circling on my bicycle pedals. I headed out walking. Five minutes later drops of water started plopping from the sky. Just drops though... The rain - if you could call it that - lasted only about 5 minutes, and the ground stayed dry. Looking back, it would have been a mostly dry ride accompanied by a strong and gusty wind. Sometimes it's just not possible to guess right, but it was a good walking day anyway.

Have you figured out yet that riding in the rain is not my favorite activity?