Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Swirling winds

Cool temperatures, swirling winds, and cloud-speckled skies greeted me this morning. I knew I needed a change of scenery, and it was time to decide whether I'd head to Wells, Maine to follow one of the routes provided on the Explore Maine - by bike web site or whether I would do my own wandering along the southern Maine coast. The latter won out; somehow I knew that my bike wasn't in a following directions mode today.

Rather than try to figure out a reasonable parking spot in Kittery, I left my car in Portsmouth, NH and made my way across the bridge into Maine. As much as I'd like to believe that the road hugs the coast, my bike knows better!

Rolling roads lined with trees and houses allowed occasional glimpses of water at the beginning of my ride, opening up to a ride right along the coast in York Beach, and then to visions of Nubble Light across a short span of water. It was a good wandering day...


Who do you suppose this is? I think it's a baby groundhog, very intent on finding things for munching. I wish I could have (safely) been a little closer, but I'm not crazy enough to walk up to a wild animal, baby though it appeared to be.


Patches of daisies continue to decorate the road.


Ah... views of the ocean, the reason for today's ride!