Denise Goldberg's blog

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

1000 miles

Bicycle wheels rolling, miles multiplying, first thousand down...

Somehow the first thousand miles of the year seems to come quite slowly. I know it's because my riding during winter and winter-into-spring is very weather dependent; even though my tolerance for riding in cold weather has increased, my desire to ride through wet has not. Last year I crossed that threshold the earliest ever - on April 30th. Given our wacky spring this year, I'm quite happy with crossing the 1000-mile line this morning.

I was rewarded by a slight change to my route this morning. As I was wandering through some quiet neighborhood streets early in my commute, a little brown rabbit hopped in front of me, quickly and safely traversing the pavement between stretches of grass and brush. Thanks little rabbit, that was a nice morning smile.