Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Walking on water

As I rode by Harold Parker State Forest this afternoon I saw people playing on the ponds, skating, walking. Ah, the temptation... the frozen surface was thick enough to support human wanderings by foot. Ride finished, I warmed up and then headed back to the ponds so I could spend some time walking on (frozen) water.

Walking on water, standing mid-pond


Sections of ice peek through the snow, gleaming, reflecting light
Ponds? A bit of a Massachusetts oddity... The bodies of water that are called ponds here are usually referred to as lakes elsewhere. In fact, one definition of a pond is "a body of water smaller than a lake" - and yet the decent-sized bodies of water that my boots crossed this afternoon are labeled on maps as ponds. I would have called them lakes.