Denise Goldberg's blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

What were they thinking?

My work day ended, and I headed to the gym for an indoor workout before heading home. Stepping, feet moving on an elliptical trainer, focused on the news coming from the on-machine little television screen as a distraction...

It's not my habit to write about news events, but it's hard not to express shock at the guerrilla marketing tactics that caused quite a stir in Boston today. I suppose that Turner Broadcasting really got what the attention that they wanted - but not in a good way. I remember another marketing tactic a year or two ago where a company was painting their logo on sidewalks. They were stopped fairly quickly. While that (previous) painting activity was pollution of a sort, it wasn't something that caused the problems that were seen in Boston today. Let's see, an device that lights up to show a cartoon character but that just looks like a dark shape in the daylight, taped to bridge supports and buildings. Not smart. And honestly, I hope that Turner Broadcasting has to pay dearly for this stunt.

I supose you could say that I am overreacting (or that I am showing my age?), but I'm far from alone in my reaction. Here's an interesting Boston Globe editorial from the day after the event: paralyzed by a gimmick.

What were they thinking? Was there any serious thought to the possible consequences? Somehow I really doubt that a lot of thought went into this...